Saturday, September 27, 2008

MY DIY wedding


I am overhauling this blog to be a place where I am going to post about my fiance's and my upcoming wedding in Chattanooga, TN on Oct 16, 2009. A lot of our friends and family have been interested in what we are up to, since we are currently living in the frozen cornfields of Northern Illinois. This blog will chronicle the success or failures of my ideas for the wedding, the process of making my dress, and all of the little road bumps along the way. The picture in this post is of the centerpieces I have made for our wedding.

First things first, here are a cast of characters who will appear in this blog with some frequency, pseudonyms used to protect the guilty:

Me: The Stress-fest. I am a 27 year old English graduate student working toward her PhD in English with a specialization in American literature, especially American gothic lit. I worry about everything, am subject to stressing out over unimportant things, and taking on workloads that would make most people run away crying. I am very detail oriented, and I generally choose to do things myself rather than try to explain what I want to others. In addition to the wedding, I have to pass my language exams, and be ready to take my field exams by next December, teach two classes a semester, take three of my own, and occasionally I present at conferences just to keep me busy!

My Fiance (hereafter referred to as "F"): Mr. Laid back. He is also working on his PhD in English, but specializes in linguistics and rhetoric, so at least one of us will get a job when we graduate. Very few things get F upset, and his amazing luck sees him through most rough spots. He has some input on the wedding, but like most wise men, his favorite response is "whatever you want dear."

My Maid of Honor (hereafter referred to as MH): The Enforcer. MH makes sure that everything is going to go as planned at my polite southern wedding, as anyone from Chicago will be treated as a rude yankee anyway. Another fellow PhD student at Northern, MH is the assertive, practical one in the group, and the one who has to critique my wedding dress as it comes along.

My Best Friend (hereafter referred to as BF): The Style Guy. BF has known me since the seventh grade, and as my mother mentioned a few months ago, has much better taste than I do. BF lives in Chattanooga, and is in charge of all of the arrangements that have to made down there while I am at school here, since I can only come home about twice a year due to finances.

Also appearing in this production are assorted friends, family members, hangers on, and critics who will be introduced and disposed of as needed.


My next post will detail the plans for the wedding as it stands now... stay tuned y'all!

No comments: